Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Winter has arrived



Winter has made it's presence felt this past weekend - blowing in with 30cms of snow and some nippy temperatures. What's a knitter to do? Knit a neck warmer of course!


I decided that it was time to dip into the stash and make myself a quick and cosy project - a cowl was just the thing to help me use up some of those odds and ends. I used three strands of DK weight yarns (Fleece Artist leftovers of blue face Leicester and a kid/silk blend that I've had for ages. No really - I think it might have been one of the first skeins that I ever bought as a knitter) and an 8mm circular needle. I used seed stitch for the edges to prevent curling and plain ol' knitting for the body. I love it. It's thick, soft, drapey and a whole lot of neck-warming awesomeness.

Not content to just wear it around my apartment, I wanted to put it to the test:






Success! I now understand why people like these things so much. I can see more of these little stash busters in my future (and maybe under someone else's Christmas tree). It is one insulating cowl. It kept me cosy while I tromped through the snowy woods.




After my snowy winter hike, I think I need legwarmers to keep the ankles warm. Maybe.

Stay warm and happy knitting!












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The neck warmer looks lovely!
You decided to nix the pattern and knit it plain? Was it still too stiff even on larger needles?
I like it!
You look so cute out in the woods:)

Jean said...

This color is wonderful for winter, everyone needs a pop of color then. I've been knitting cowls as well, I wore one yesterday and got so many comments. I'll have to make one in blue now as I love the way it stands out from the darker colors.

lycradog said...

Have you seen 'Wanted'? Well, if not, there's this bit in it where 'The Fraternity', a group of assassins, get their orders to kill from fate. Fate, sick puppy that it is, communicates it's intended targets to the assassins in binary code through a loom. When there's a stitch out of place one way, 0, the other,
1. It spells out a name, then Angelina Jolie kills the person while making me want her.

What I'm getting at here is, even if the socks you're knitting tell you to kill me, please don't.