Monday, September 10, 2007

Let the Christmas knitting begin!

Christmas knitting season is upon us, well, okay, it's upon me. I've decided to do a little knitting this year for a few folks on my list. The lucky reciepients you ask? In no particular order, they are: The mom, the BF's mom, friend and BF's sister, and perhaps one or two others, completely contingent on what I actually get accomplished. Not to say I don't love the two contingents on my list - I do, they're great people and they're also knitters. They will understand if their knitted gifties come sometime in february.
My mom's been after me for ages to knit her some socks - probably because I started a pair for two years ago and never got around to finishing them (because I thought they were ugly), so I feel it's about time I got off my butt and made her some darn socks. I'm thinking that the Trekking (XXL) would make a nice pair of Simple Socks with A Slant for Cat Bordhi's latest book. It is purely coincidence that the yarn I chose looks so similar to the one in the photograph. I liked the muted colours and thought they'd suit her and I liked the simplicity of the pattern. My mother would wreck a pair of lace socks in about 4 minutes. She's a one woman hurricane of disaster most of the time.

The BF's mom is getting a classic seed stitch scarf in the Noro Kochoran, Col. 41. There have been hints dropped like mad on this front too. I'm reasonably confident that it won't take too long to knit this one up.

Next up? Another pair of socks, this time for the BF's sister. And just know, looking at the picture, I realize that I did it again - photo and real life yarns are matchy matchy! His sister is a pretty colour sort of person and I wanted to choose something that would be interesting to knit, but not overly precious or fussy. I think this fits the bill. Besides, I've knit a few pairs of Grumperina's Jaywalkers (I'm in the gallery! Mine are the closeups!) and I like her patterns. Now that I've publicly declared that I will knit 2 pairs of socks for Christmas gifts, I hope that SSS doesn't set in.
The last one on my list is the Malabriggo merino for a friend. It'll transform itself into a scarf as soon as I decide waht stitch pattern to use. Any suggestions out there? I'd love to hear them.

No comments: